Internet is life – this is probably the mantra of most of you. Whether it is at work, at home, or in a business, having an internet connection is crucial. Therefore, it is critical that you invest in a top-notch wireless router.
Not all wireless routers are the same. From the aesthetics to their technical specifications, they will vary from one another. As a responsible buyer, you should take a look at their features to know which one can provide the best bang for the buck.
Can’t decide which one to buy? Keep on reading the rest of this best wireless router review 2019 and we’ll let you know some of the top products that should be on your list.
Types of Wireless Router
To begin with, let us have a quick look at the two types of wireless routers that are available on the market.
- Single-Band Wireless Router: It makes use of the 2.4Ghz band and will be able to support only a single wireless signal. This is the cheaper option between the two, but this is obvious because of the inclusion of basic features only. The internet connection speed is limited, so you might end up in frustration.
- Dual-Band Wireless Router: In contrast, this router uses two bands – 2 GHz and 5 GHz. Meaning, they will be able to transmit two signals at a time, which will be critical in improving its performance. It is also beneficial in terms of ease of assembly. It can reach a maximum speed that is 100 times higher than its stated bandwidth.
How to Choose a Wireless Router
With too many options, which can provide the best value for the money? To help you narrow down the possibilities, below are some of the most important considerations:
- Specs: Start by being technical. When choosing a wireless router, stick to those with 802.11ac. This is the standard that replaced the older 802.11n. They are capable of handling simultaneous connections while making sure that speed is not compromised in any way. Pay attention as well to the rated speed to ensure its reliable performance.
Wireless Router Tips and Tricks
To guarantee the best performance of the router, take note of the tips that are briefly discussed below:
- Find the right position for the wireless router, which will improve the sending of radio signals and will speed up the connection. Do not put it in a place where the signal transmission can be blocked. According to CNET, aside from choosing a central location, it will also be good to raise the router and avoid electronics.
- Change the router that has been initially given by your internet provider. This can be an additional cost, but you should see this as an investment. Choose routers with a high-quality antenna for a stronger signal.
- Using a wireless range extender will also be effective. They are versatile because they are compatible with almost all wireless routers. Plus, they are also affordable. It is especially useful if you have a large place.
- Do not forget to update the firmware of the router since it functions as its brain. It will also help in fixing security vulnerabilities.
Our Top Picks for the Best Wireless Router
Below are some of the top brands and models that should be on your list, as well as the features that make them exceptional.
ASUS AC1900 Whole-Home Dual-Band AiMesh Router
The brand name itself will already provide you with a good reason to include this product on your list. Among others, one of its exceptional features is the TurboQAM Wi-Fi Acceleration, which significantly improves its speed. It can deliver a maximum data rate of 1,900 Mbps.
Meanwhile, the power of this unit is derived from its 1 GHz dual-core CPU. The latter is the one that is responsible for the prevention of speed fluctuations, providing an assurance of seamless online experience.
Lastly, it should be noted that it is AiMesh compatible. This means that you can connect it with compatible routers to create a network. It also has the revolutionary AiProtection, which will keep you safe and sound from external threats.
- Equipped with powerful hardware
- Excellent vulnerability protection
- Great signal range
- Cannot be mounted on the wall
- Not as fast as newer alternatives
Asus AC2900 Wi-Fi Wireless Router
Whether you are watching a 4K UHD video or playing a resource-intensive game, this router will help to provide you with a lag-free connection. You do not need to worry about speed as it is equipped with the innovative 802.11AC MU-MIMO technology, which is the one that allows it to deliver maximum data transfer speed of 2,900 Mbps.
Another innovation that you can find in this router is known as Adaptive QoS, which will basically increase your gaming bandwidth. This is one thing that is sure to be appreciated by avid gamers.
With the compatible Asus router app, you will be in complete control of the network management. Through the app, you can set parental controls and manage its usage.
- Impressive data transfer
- Provides lag-free connections
- Excellent protection
- Firmware is complex
- Lack of mounting options
Synology RT2600AC – 4×4 Dual Band Gigabit Wi-Fi Router
Made by a Taiwanese company, this router is powered by a 1.7 GHz dual-core processor, which can give you the confidence that the speed will be second to none. The uncompromising performance can also be attributed to the presence of MU-MIMO technology, which delivers unrivaled speeds.
Looking at the features, it is loved by many because there is a traffic monitoring tool, which will allow you to prioritize internet usage depending on needs. It also comes with an impressive parental control that will allow you to limit internet usage as desired.
You do not have to worry about security as it has state-of-the-art tools that can provide you with peace of mind. Some of the examples of these tools include firewall management, denial of service protection, and intrusion prevention, among others.
- Can be controlled using an intuitive mobile app
- Delivers a long signal range
- Good security features
- Slow start and boot
- Limited number of network ports
Asus Blue Cave AC2600 Dual Band Wireless Router
This is already the third entry from Asus that has been mentioned in this post, which speaks a lot about the brand. However, a lot of people noted that this is a classic case of style over substance. It has a one-of-a-kind design that can turn heads, but when it comes to its performance, it can be underwhelming.
It is a great addition to modern homes, offices, or businesses as it can be paired with Amazon Alexa and Echo. This means that you can use voice commands to configure its settings.
When you purchase this router, as a bonus, you will receive complimentary antivirus protection for computer and smartphone.
- Unique and attractive design
- Commercial-grade security features
- Performance is sub-par
- File transfer speed can be slow
Asus AC3100 Dual-Band Gigabit Gaming Router
One of the things that make this unique is the fact that it is designed with the needs of gamers in mind. Regardless of the game that you are playing, you can expect that the speed will not be compromised. One thing that makes this possible is 10240-Qam technology, which makes it faster than the standard routers.
The heart of the router is its 1.4 GHz dual-core processor. This will allow you to enjoy quicker data transfer at a maximum of up to 100 Mbps.
Lastly, to provide you with peace of mind, it should also be noted that it has Asus AiProtection, which is provided by Trend Micro. This will help to create a safe online experience by detecting and blocking threats that could come along your way.
- Optimized for gaming
- Excellent speed and performance
- Compatible with other routers for creating a network
- Bulky body
- Installation can be tricky
Google Wi-Fi System NLS-1304-25
The mere fact that it is made by Google can already provide you with a good reason to have it considered over many of its competitors. However, it should be noted that its performance can be quite underwhelming when compared to premium models, such as the high-end routers from Asus.
One of the features that you might love in this product is the network assist technology. This will maintain the exceptional speed of your connection by automatically choosing the fastest band and clearest channel where your device can connect.
The coverage of this product has also been praised by many. One Wi-Fi point will have a signal range of 1,500 square feet. You can connect up to three devices, which will have a range of 4,500 square feet.
- Easy to set-up
- Modern design
- Speed is not as impressive as top-tier competitors
- Requires a Google account for configuration
Amped ALLY-0091K Wireless Ally Plus Whole Home Smart Wi-Fi System
This is one of the routers that seem to be too good to be true, so tread with caution. The manufacturer claims that the signal range is at a maximum of 15,000 square feet, which is made possible by the Wi-Fi extender that is included as a part of the kit that you will purchase.
The company partnered with AVG to provide unmatched network security, which can provide you with the confidence that your devices are free from external threats.
With the compatible ALLY app, you can unlock the full potential of the router as it will allow you to do a variety of things, such as setting up parental control. It is also through the app that you will be able to receive reports and alerts regarding the online activities of the users of the network.
- Easy to set-up
- Comes with a network extender
- Exceptional signal range
- Connections can be unreliable
TP-Link AC3150 Smart Wi-Fi Router
This is another feature-packed router that deserves to be on your radar. Among others, one feature that makes it impressive is the 1024 QAM technology, which will allow it to deliver ultra-fast speed at a maximum of up to 3,150 Mbps. If you are using your connection for 4K streaming, this can guarantee an uninterrupted experience.
Aside from the 1.4 GHz dual-core CPU, the router is also powered by 2 core processors, making it deliver enhanced performance. To make it even better, it has four high-powered amplifiers.
- Wide choices for network management
- Easy to set-up
- Excellent Wi-Fi coverage
- Poor port design
- Problematic firmware
We are living in an internet-obsessed era, and hence, the best wireless router is an essential investment. From speed to its appearance, there are several factors that will come into play to make the right decision. To avoid regrets, keep an eye on the products that we have listed above.